If you want to get in shape, Daniels is the place to be. Through a decidedly unscientific poll, I determined that every Daniels Pioneer works out at least three times per week. This is not to say that the Pioneer community is homogeneous–the workouts ranged from fencing to horseback riding to snowboarding to pumping iron. Here are just a few of many options you will have to join in the fitness craze at Daniels, and contribute to Denver’s annual ranking as the fittest city in the nation:
- Intramurals: Team Daniels is the student organization dedicated to providing Daniels students with plenty of opportunities to sweat! Team Daniels organizes intramural sports teams (including basketball, soccer, football, and broomball) and coordinates teams at road races and competitions around town. The group is perfect for active students who want to meet other workout fanatics.
- Club Sports: Club Sports are a great way for students who are interested in a particular sport to get involved on a more formal level. The largest Club Sport on campus is the Alpine Club, which organizes hikes, rock climbing, backpacking, skiing, and much more. Club Sports are open to all full-time students, faculty, and staff.
- The mountains: Daniels is a short drive from world-class skiing and snowboarding venues (Aspen, Vail, Winter Park, Breckenridge, Keystone, Loveland, A-Basin, Copper Mountain, Steamboat, Eldora…and the list goes on and on). Many students go to the mountains every weekend (and do their homework in the lodge)! In the summer, Colorado offers some of the nation’s most beautiful hiking trails (and plenty of fourteeners if you are up for a challenge).
- Washington Park: We are a five minute drive from the most popular park in Denver, Washington Park (or, as the locals call it, Wash Park). If you like walking, running, biking, roller blading, kickball, basketball, soccer, tennis, fishing, or volleyball, you will probably find yourself in Wash Park almost as often as you find yourself in Daniels!
- The Ritchie Center/Coors Fitness Center: Click here to read my post on the AMAZING athletic facilities that we are privileged to enjoy here at the University of Denver.
- It Burns Joe Fitness: This is a FREE three-hour long boot camp that is offered three days a week (Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays). It is a challenge, but the 200+ attendees will help you survive! Click here to go to the It Burns Joe Fitness Facebook page.